Events in Black are General Biking Events.| Events in Blue are Pop Up Bike Clinic Events.
Explore Albuquerque, bike to new places, take pictures, and win prizes! The more you bike, the more chances you’ll have to win prizes!
Bike to as many locations as you can on the list below. Once you get there, take a photo of you and/or your bike, and upload it to our website.
Submit all photos before midnight on Monday, October 17.
For each scavenger hunt item, one photo will be selected as the winner! Each winner will receive a gift card to one of our sponsoring businesses. Photos will be judged on content, aesthetic appeal, and overall awesomeness.
There will be 10 winners!
Scavenger Hunt/Photo Contest Locations:
- CiQlovia hub (CiQlvoia is on October 16)
- Pulling goat heads (also known as puncture vine). The person with the most goat heads pulled will win this category!
- You will also get an extra raffle ticket for participating in this challenge!
- The goat heads are already among us, so you don’t have to wait until October 8 to get going! Just pull goat heads, take a photo for proof, and submit your photos (up to three) via the form below anytime before October 17.
- Historic building
- ABQ Ride bus with a bike on the rack
- Bike trail
- Sponsoring business
- Hot air balloon
- Chile ristra
- HAWK crossing
- Bike boulevard sign
How Does It Work?
Help us build an inventory of biking routes around the City! Share your favorite rides around Albuquerque and describe some of its key features including the type of route, appropriate users, and level of traffic. We’ll calculate the length, build a map and route profiles, and share them online. Just complete the information below!
This form gathers information about your favorite biking route around Albuquerque. Your submission will help us build an inventory of routes that can be shared with the rest of the community. You will also receive an extra raffle ticket for our prize drawing!
About the Contest
Join us in the 2022 Bike thru Burque Riding Challenge! The challenge will start on Saturday, October 8 and end on Sunday, October 16. Sign up with your friends, family, or coworkers in the Team Competition or register as an individual in the Individual Challenge. Kids can also sign up for our brand-new Kid’s Riding Challenge! See below for details.
Individual Challenge and Team Competition
Bike thru Burque Week is all about riding your bike to get where you need to go. That’s why we’ve created a points system to reward you not just for miles ridden, but also for the number of rides you go on.
You will receive one point for each round-trip ride you log.
You can also get bonus points for:
- Business Buddy Points: +1 point for each ride to one of our sponsoring local businesses. Check out the list of sponsors here.
- Beast of Burden Points: +1 point for each ride if you carry something on your bike (like groceries, kids, shopping items—spare tubes and water bottles don’t count!)
- You’re Hot Then You’re Cold Points: +1 point for each ride if the temperature is hotter than 75 degrees or colder than 45 degrees.
- Suffer-Fest Points: +1 point for your ride if there is 15 mph+ winds
- Long Hauler Points: +1 point for rides over 10 miles
- New Horizons Points: +1 point if the ride was on a route that you have never ridden before
- Boarding the Bus Points: +1 point for taking your bike on the bus. Bus fares are free in 2022!
Each team member will log their rides individually, and points will be added to the team’s total.
Rules of the Game
- Up to 6 people per team (If your group is larger than six you will need to create multiple teams.)
- Individuals can participate by signing up for the individual challenge. (See buttons below)
- Team Competition: Each team member from the team with the most points will receive a prize. Everyone who participates will receive one raffle ticket for a chance to win giveaway items.
- Final points will be adjusted based on team size to determine the winning team: If you have two team members, your points will be divided by two; if you have six team members, your points will be divided by six.
- Individual Challenge: The top three individuals with the most points will receive a prize. All individual participants will receive one raffle ticket for an extra chance to win giveaway items.
- We will use the contact information you provided in the registration to contact you if you win.
- Please don’t wait until the end of the challenge to log all of your rides! We encourage everyone to log rides on the same day you rode. This makes it easier for other riders to see where they stand in the points ranking.
- You can log your rides from Saturday, October 8 to Sunday, October 16. Log your rides before midnight on Monday, October 17 for your points to count.
- This competition is based on the honor system. Please don’t cheat by logging rides you didn’t do or by abusing the bonus points system.
- Have fun and ride safe!
NOTE: In past events, we’ve given away prizes to the teams and individuals with the most points and the most miles. This year, we will only be giving prizes to winners with the most points. This is to encourage biking for transportation and to make sure we have enough prizes for our newly added Kid’s Riding Challenge.
Kids’ Riding Challenge
Join us in the 2022 Bike thru Burque Kids’ Riding Challenge! The challenge runs from Saturday, October 8 to Sunday, October 16. You can earn points and win prizes by riding your bike to your favorite places, being safe, and learning about Burque.
Who Can Sign Up?
The Kids’ Riding Challenge is for everyone in grades K-8 (or equivalent ages). Make sure you have an adult’s permission before participating!
High Schoolers: Sign up for the Individual Riding Challenge!
And anyone of any age can sign up for the Team Riding Challenge.
How to Earn Points
For each bike ride you go on, you can earn one point for each of these activities:
- Ride wearing a helmet
- Ride with a sibling, cousin, or friend
- Ride with a parent or adult
- Ride to school
- Ride on a path closed to cars (like the Bosque Trail)
- Ride on a bike boulevard (like Silver Ave or Alvarado). Bike Boulevards have purple signs.
- Ride on a bike route (like Edith Blvd or Prospect Ave). Bike Routes have green signs.
- Ride to the park, library, or swimming pool, to get a paleta, or any place you love to go
- Ride wearing your favorite shoes or shirt, or mismatched socks
- Ride with a water bottle on your bike or in your backpack
- Ride with a healthy snack or lunch in your backpack
- Ride wearing something bright or reflective
- Put air into your bike tires
- Help fix a flat tire
- Learn how to adjust a bike seat
- Learn how to adjust your helmet
- Help clean your bike chain
- Ride a balance bike/strider bike
- Cross the street using a HAWK signal. To learn about HAWK signals, click here.
- Ride along an acequia
- Visit a table or play a game at CiQlovia
- Ride to the Balloon Fiesta
Print out this sheet below to help you keep track of your points!
Click the image below to download the printable pdf. (You can also color the picture!)
Rules of the Game
- For each ride you go on, you can earn one point for each activity listed above. For example, if you rode your bike to school with your friend while wearing your helmet, you would earn three points for that ride.
- When you log your points, type in the total number of points you earned for one ride. Our super advanced technology will keep track of your total points for you.
- You can also log your rides by marking down your points on this printout and emailing a picture of it to email@example.com.
- You can go on as many rides as you want. To earn points for your ride, they need to be during Bike thru Burque Week (October 8 – 16).
- Make sure you log all of your points by Monday, October 17.
- Make sure you have permission from an adult before you go on a ride!
- The points system works on honesty. Make sure you are only logging activities that you completed!
How do I Win Prizes?
The more points you log, the more raffle tickets you will earn for the Kid’s Riding Challenge Raffle! This raffle is just for kids and prizes include tickets on the Sandia Peak Tramway, Explora passes, tickets to the Nuclear Science Museum, and more! For each five points you earn, you will get one raffle ticket. For example, if you earn 15 points, you will get three raffle tickets. At the end of Bike thru Burque Week, we will draw winners and reach out to you via email if you won.
Visit us at a pop-up table to win raffle prizes, pick up free stickers and bike maps, and learn about biking in Albuquerque!
- Bike in Coffee @ 949 Montoya St NW (10:30 AM – 1 PM on Saturday, October 8)
- Canteen Brewhouse @ 2381 Aztec Rd NE (5 – 8 PM on Friday, October 14)
- There will also be a bike parts drive for Esperanza Bicycle Safety and Education Center and pop-up bike clinic
- CiQlovia (Sunday, October 16 from 10-3 on Kathryn Ave between Louisiana Blvd and San Pedro)
Disclaimer: Please ride with caution, obey all traffic laws, and wear a helmet when riding. Neither the City of Albuquerque nor Bohannan Huston Inc are liable for personal injuries sustained while participating in Bike thru Burque Week.